The Scottish Tourist Guides Association in partnership with the University of Aberdeen are pleased to announce a new regional study training course for tourist guides.
The New Green Badge Regional Programme for Tourist Guide Training will cover the study area for the North East of Scotland.
North-East Scotland: History, Landscape, Culture and Economy is a fully online course which will commence on 1st April 2019 and is delivered by the University of Aberdeen.
Subjects will include:
- the history of Aberdeen, the Shire and beyond
- landscape and geology of the area
- fishing Industry and the rise of tourism
- how north east Scotland’s identity has been informed by its Doric language, literature and music.
- The area’s remarkable contribution to the success of Scotland’s food and drink industry.
- and so much more!
This online course will include presentations, written materials and access to further resources. Quizzes will be used to assess understanding.
Studying this online course through the University will give you all the practical advantages of fitting your learning around your location, work and personal commitments.
In addition to the online course, North-East Scotland: History, Landscape, Culture and Economy, an online Business Module is available, which will deliver content on how to set up a business, keep accounts, pay income tax and procedures relating to HM Revenue and Customs.
First Aid Qualification
The student who intends applying for the Tourist Guide Training – Regional Studies, Professional and Practical Skills Training should engage with a suitable certified First Aid course. (Some students may already be in the possession of such a qualification).
Tourist Guide Training – Regional Studies, Professional and Practical Skills Training
There will be an overlap in the programme from May into June.
The Training will include the skills necessary to show visitors our towns, cities, countryside, and buildings.
What it means to study for a Green Badge and Tourist Guide for the North East Scotland.
1. Core Knowledge: the online course, North East Scotland: History, Landscape, Culture and Economy delivered by the University of Aberdeen, will provide the foundation knowledge of the area, and will equip students with the skills to undertake independent research and further develop their own knowledge of the North East.
2. Tourist Guide Training – Regional Studies, Professional and Practical Skills:
Regional studies will see the group travelling within the operational area to travel the roads and visit some of the visitor attractions. Research skills will be used to study routes and form the narrative presented by the tourist guide. Students will be taught group management and skills to guide a group on a walking tour and on a site.
3. The student will be required to devote time in research to amass the information that will be shared with future tourists.
4. The students will undertake formal assessments on coach, walk and site. With the final Scottish Tourist Guides Association membership exam will take the form of the same.
The membership exam will also include a tour plan assignment and viva, two written papers, a mapping assignment and an interview for professional knowledge linked to the duty of care.
5. Current STGA members that hold a regional qualification for another area will be required to join the online course, North East Scotland: History, Landscape, Culture and Economy and undertake the Tourist Guide Training Programme – Regional Studies, Professional and Practical Skills. As with other courses of regional study the course content is specific to the regional area of study. Credits for prior learning may be given for first aid and business studies.
The Online Course provided by the University of Aberdeen will cost £500.00.
Business Module – The fee for the Business Module, payable to Aberdeen University is – To Be Confirmed.
These fees will be payable directly to the University of Aberdeen.
First Aid – The cost of the first aid course is borne by the student.
There are several different types first aid courses available, and
the student should select which is the most appropriate for the type of guiding work the student will pursue.
Tourist Guide Training – Regional Studies, Professional and Practical Skills Training will be provided by STGA Trainers will cost £1300.00.
This fee will be paid directly to the Scottish Tourist Guides Association.
Membership Exam Fee
There is an additional charge for the STGA membership exam of £175.00
Students who wished to be assessed to be assessed in a language other than English will be invited to sit a language assessment.
There will be an additional charge for the language assessment.
Cost to be confirmed.
7. Operational Area:
The combined online course, regional studies and professional skills are designed to equip the future guide to escort visitors within the operational area.
The operational area includes, Aberdeen City and Shire, Dundee, Fife and St. Andrews
8. STGA Membership
Once the full course has been successfully completed, the new guide will become a member of the Scottish Tourist Guides Association.
The membership level for a Green Badge guide is known as a Regional Affiliate.
• The current annual membership fee is £90.00 per annum.
• The membership fee includes the guides insurance cover for Public Liability and Professional Indemnity Insurance.
• The member will be given their own members page on the STGA website.
The are highlighted in the map below shows the qualification area of this course.
University of Aberdeen
Course: North-East Scotland: History, Landscape, Culture and Economy
The button below will take you to the university webpage for registration and information.
STGA Green Badge Training
Scottish Tourist Guide Association
Tourist Guide Training – Regional Studies, Professional and Practical Skills
- Students who wish to apply for Tourist Guide Training Commencing in May will be required to complete a separate application form.
- The Tourist Guide Training will run on an annual cycle commencing in May as indicated in the STGA Prospectus.
- The application form will be made available once the once the University’s online course has begun.
The Tourist Guide Training is limited to 30 places.
STGA Contact Information:
STGA Training Manager
Mob: + 44 (0)7944 470 371