NORTH EAST SCOTLAND: HISTORY, LANDSCAPE, CULTURE AND ECONOMY
University of Aberdeen
ANNOUNCEMENT – Coronavirus (COVID 19)
Thank you for participating in the above online course.
Some of you will have considered joining the Green Badge Training which was due to start in May 2020.
The current government restrictions placed upon us for everybody’s own Best Practice, and the uncertainty of when they will be lifted has resulted in our decision to postpone the next intake to Guide Training to 2021.
The guide training is delivered face to face within the group and demands that the group work in proximity with one another. What is required could not be achieved by other methods.
STGA will continue to accept application forms and will keep in touch with further information when available.
If you have any questions, please contact:
STGA Training Manager, Email: email@example.com Mob: +44 (0) 7944 470 371
The Scottish Tourist Guides Association in partnership with the University of Aberdeen will continue with the guide training programme for the North East of Scotland.
The guide training programme is run in two integrated parts:
Potential students will begin with the online course provided by the University of Aberdeen. The online course material forms a study of the north east area.
The Online Course
North-East Scotland: History, Landscape, Culture and Economy is a fully online course which is delivered by the University of Aberdeen.
Subjects will include:
- the history of Aberdeen, the Shire and beyond
- landscape and geology of the area
- fishing Industry and the rise of tourism
- how north east Scotland’s identity has been informed by its Doric language, literature and music.
- The area’s remarkable contribution to the success of Scotland’s food and drink industry.
- and so much more!
This online course will include presentations, written materials and access to further resources. Quizzes will be used to assess understanding.
Studying this online course through the University will give you all the practical advantages of fitting your learning around your location, work and personal commitments.
The online course has no start date and is available to potential students upon registration with the University of Aberdeen.
In addition to the online course, North-East Scotland: History, Landscape, Culture and Economy, an online Business Module is available, which will deliver content on how to set up a business, keep accounts, pay income tax and procedures relating to HM Revenue and Customs.
Tourist Guides are mostly self-employed. This module is suitable for those who have never been required to keep accounts and deal with HMRC.
Tourist Guide Training – Regional Studies, Professional and Practical Skills Training
There will be an overlap in the programme from May into June, continuing through to March 2021.
The Guide Training will include familiarisation/study trips to areas and sites within the region.
What it means to study for a Green Badge and Tourist Guide for the North East Scotland.
1. Core Knowledge: the online course, North East Scotland: History, Landscape, Culture and Economy delivered by the University of Aberdeen, will provide the foundation knowledge of the area, and will equip students with the skills to undertake independent research and further develop their own knowledge of the North East.
2. Tourist Guide Training – Regional Studies, Professional and Practical Skills:
Regional studies will see the group travelling within the operational area to travel the roads and visit some of the visitor attractions. Research skills will be used to study routes and form the narrative presented by the tourist guide. Students will be taught group management and skills to guide a group on a walking tour and on a site.
3. The student will be required to devote time in research to amass the information that will be shared with future tourists.
4. The students will undertake formal assessments on coach, walk and site. With the final Scottish Tourist Guides Association membership exam will take the form of the same.
The membership exam will also include a tour plan assignment and viva, two written papers, a mapping assignment and an interview for professional knowledge linked to the duty of care.
5. Current STGA members that hold a regional qualification for another area will be required to join the online course, North East Scotland: History, Landscape, Culture and Economy and undertake the Tourist Guide Training Programme – Regional Studies, Professional and Practical Skills. As with other courses of regional study the course content is specific to the regional area of study. Credits for prior learning may be given for first aid and business studies.
The Online Course provided by the University of Aberdeen will cost £515.00.
Business Module – The fee for the Business Module, payable to the University of Aberdeen.
First Aid – The cost of the first aid course is borne by the student.
There are several different types first aid courses available, and
the student should select which is the most appropriate for the type of guiding work the student will pursue. STGA will advise.
Tourist Guide Training – Regional Studies, Professional and Practical Skills Training will be provided by STGA Trainers. The cost of this part of the course will be available here soon.
Membership Exam Fee
There is an additional charge for the STGA membership exam. The cost of this exam fee is £200.00.
Students who wished to be assessed to be assessed in a language other than English will be invited to sit a language assessment.
There will be an additional charge for the language assessment.
Cost to be confirmed.
7. Operational Area:
The combined online course, regional studies and professional skills are designed to equip the future guide to escort visitors within the operational area.
The operational area includes, Aberdeen City and Shire, Moray, Dundee, Fife and St. Andrews.
8. STGA Membership
Once the full course has been successfully completed, the new guide will become a member of the Scottish Tourist Guides Association.
The membership level for a Green Badge guide is known as a Regional Affiliate.
• The current annual membership fee is £110.00 per annum.
• The membership fee includes the guides insurance cover for Public Liability and
Professional Indemnity Insurance.
• The member will be given their own members page on the STGA website.
The are highlighted in the map below shows the qualification area of this course.
STGA Contact Information:
STGA Training Manager