Driver Guiding Passenger Compliance Policy
The Scottish Tourist Guides Association (STGA) Driver Guiding Passenger Compliance Policy applies to all Driver Guide services booked through the STGA booking service from 28 July 2016 onwards.
This policy exists solely for the purpose of ensuring that all Driver-Guided tours conducted by STGA members are done so in full compliance of UK law in regards to seat belts and any other appropriate safety restraints.
1. STGA Seat Belt Policy
Seat belts must be worn during all driving segments of a driver guided tour by all passengers in the vehicle. Where a child is required by law to use a child car seat, the STGA Child Car Seat Policy in section 2 below will apply.
2. STGA Child Car Seat Policy
- Children must use a child car seat until they are either: 12 years old, or 135cm (4ft 5 5/32in) tall, whichever comes first. They cannot just use a seatbelt, or be held by another passenger. Children who are required to use child car seats must the appropriate restraints for the entire duration of driven segments of the tour.
- If any members of your party require a child car seat in accordance to rules stated in point 2.1 above, this must be declared to STGA at time of booking.
- If STGA or its members are providing child car seats for your tour, these seats will meet UK law requirements. STGA will provide a child car seat for you based on the information you provide us about the children who require them – it is up to you to make sure this information is correct. STGA will not be held responsible for any issues that arise from incorrect information provided by you regarding the children who require car seats.
Should any passengers fail to comply with any points of: 1. STGA Seat Belt Policy or 2. STGA Child Car Seat Policy, this will result in the driver guide refusing to continue the tour until all passengers are using appropriate restraints. STGA will not be held responsible for any time lost, and no refunds or compensation of any kind will be given for any disruptions to a tour due to passengers’ failure to adhere to any part of either of these policies.
STGA Driver Guiding Passenger Compliance Policy and UK Law
This policy adheres to UK law, as detailed here: www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules
For full details of the law we advise you to visit this weblink.
Different rules apply to passengers travelling in coaches or minibuses.
For full details of these exceptions please visit: www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules/when-a-child-can-travel-without-a-car-seat
If the correct child seat isn’t available, a child aged 3 or older can use an adult seat belt if the journey is all of the following:
- over a short distance
You can’t take children under 3 on an unexpected journey in a vehicle without the correct child car seat, unless both of the following apply:
- it’s a licensed taxi or minicab
- the child travels on a rear seat without a seat belt