Exhibiting the Best of Scotland at Expo
5 May 2011
As the premier travel trade event for business to business contact, Expo is attended by international buyers from all corners of the globe, and exhibitors from across Scotland. With a product as fantastic as our qualified tourist guides, it is the best opportunity to reach and engage with our diverse customer base.
From established tour operators, to burgeoning businesses, and speculative decision makers, the STGA demonstrated their potential both with our main stall in the exhibition hall, and with guides taking international buyers on familiarisation trips across Scotland. All of the visitors to the stall raved about the wonderful guides who had shown them the best that Scotland had to offer.
The stall showcased our Blue and Green badge guides with the Guidelist, bookmarks and our brand new exhibition stand. Business Support Manager (Gem Scotland), Bookings Secretary (Dot Wylie), and Marketing Chair and Board Director (Sue Gruellich), captured the attention of prospective clients by enthusing and informing of what qualified guides can do. Local guides, Rhona Bean and Janet Bulloch also assisted at points throughout the two days.
The networking evening on 13th April, also provided an excellent opportunity for buyers and exhibitors to let down their hair a little, but continue to meeting and chatting to new and existing contacts alike, whilst enjoying the best of Scottish food, drink and music.
Business Support Manager, Gem Scotland said;
“Events such as these are great to allow guides and office staff to meet tour operators and other clients directly, and to capture new audiences who may never have heard of us.
“This year we saw an increase in German, Russian and Scandinavian tour operators, and lots of interest in our language and driver guides.
“Exhibitors also offer us an excellent opportunity to learn about is new in Scottish tourism, so that we have up to date industry knowledge to help make our customers visits the best they can be.
“We’ve collected many business cards and new contacts, and I look forward to emailing them all to thank them for their time in coming to our stall, and to encourage them to get in touch for a guide soon.”
Facts about Visit Scotland Expo
VisitScotland hosts over 500, hand picked, international tour operators, wholesalers, travel agents, travel media etc. to attend expo and experience Scotland through pre and post event familiarisation trips.
- Around 400 UK based buyers and 50 media buyers also attend to meet with around 230 Scottish suppliers.
- UK Buyers in attendance last year were 349.
- International Buyers in attendance last year were 501.
- Exhibiting Companies in attendance last year were 220.
- 83% of UK and 90% of International buyers intend to add new suppliers to their current programmes.
- 73% of UK and 88% of International Buyers intend to expand their current programmes to Scotland.
- 60% of UK and 85% of International Buyers intend to create additional Scottish tour programmes.
- 25% of UK and 63% of international Buyers will introduce a Scotland programme for the first time.
- 84% of exhibitors were satisfied/very satisfied with the business potential expo offered with the highest quality of buyers coming from Germany, UK, USA, India and Netherlands - in this order.
- 62% of exhibitors told us the potential value of the business quoted. The average (mean) potential value was £31,000.
- 83% of exhibitor said the ROI on their attendance was good and excellent.
- 88% of exhibitors conducted business with other stand holders.
- 79% of international buyers will feature a place they visited in future programmes.
- An overwhelming majority of buyers and exhibitors want us to continue to hold expo annually.
- Expo exhibitors are first choice to be utilized for pre and post expo buyer familiarization trips and for buyer accommodation in Aberdeen during the event.